Best Tent Fans of 2018 & Buying Guide
One of the biggest problems that people face during camping, out of leisure or out of compulsion, is the unbearable heat. Campers tend to become more lethargic, and they avoid doing any activity because of the heat.
Additionally, they lack in sleep because of the weather and they get cranky, lazy, and even sick during the experience. Sleeping in tents is a good way to bring shade, however since the tent material is usually a waterproof fabric that does not allow air to pass through, it becomes suffocating in the tent.
To cool out this problem, next time you go camping, you can take along with you tent fans. These fans are designed specially to work inside tents and are as portable as tents are.
They come in collapsible style and work with batteries, or if you have a solar power source, you can connect the fan to it. Before you go camping the next time, take a look at our list to ensure that you find the best tent fan that fit your need.
If you are new to the idea of a tent fan, then you need to keep in mind a few things before you decide to buy it. Learn its technicalities and how to use it so that you do not purchase the product without having an idea of how to use it. Additionally, it is important to learn to buy the product that will give you the most advantage so that you can use it for a long time and it does not wear off after the first use. Consider the following before buying the best tent fan for you to camp.
What kind of tent fan should I buy?
Before looking into any other feature, determine what kind of tent fan you should buy. There are three basic types tent fan that you can choose from:
- Electric fan: If your camping trip includes some electrical supply, then this fan is perfect for you. It is the most reasonable and easy to use.
- Solar powered fan: This type of tent fan is recharged through the sun and works well. However, if it is a cloudy or a rainy day, you may face difficulties. If your solar power tent fan has the option to switch to general battery, then you go for this option.
- Battery operated tent fan: This is the most common type of tent fan. It uses alkaline batteries that are rechargeable and also replaceable. It comes with the least chaos and is easiest to carry.
What kind of battery should the battery tent fan have?
Unless your tent has some power source, you will want to look for a tent fan that operates on rechargeable battery. The number of cells is determined through the runtime and the ventilator of the fan.
First and foremost, you need to ensure that the battery used is of high quality to make sure that your fan runs smoothly and that it does not discharge after a short while.
Additionally, check to see if the battery can be easily available in the market because it is always a good idea to keep an additional charged battery.
What size tent fan is suitable?
Tent fans come in various sizes for tents of different sizes. Hence, while choosing a tent fan, it is important to keep in mind the size of your tent. The smallest tent fans come without a cage for its blades, taking it to the danger side.
The medium sized tent fan is preferred since it fits well in a standard tent and does it job while having a cage to protect you from the blades. However, if your tent size is bigger than the standard size, you can buy a bigger fan. You can even go for the acid battery ones. They provide a high flow of air and mimic a house fan.
What style is tent fan suitable?
Tent fans have two basic styles that come in every power source. You can pick the one that is most durable and convenient to you. The following are the two styles:
- The hanging tent fan: This type of tent fan can be hung on the top of your tent just like a ceiling fan. It comes with a separate mechanism to fix it on the top. However, the mechanism generally can’t take high winds and is prone to fall anytime causing injury.
- The standing tent fan: The standing tent fan is more common than the later. This type of fan has a robust and stable base. The height is also adjustable is some cases. This kind of fan is a lot bulkier and hence may not be easiest to carry.
What type of blades should the fan have?
Each camping fan comes in two types of blades. These blades affect the air flow and also determine the safety of the fans. There are two types of blades for your tent fan that you can choose from:
- Foam blades: These types of blades are either entirely made of foam, either they are lined with a thick foam coat over a metal blade. Foam blades are used for softer air flow and are safer if your tent fan does not have a cage for security. A tent fan with foam blades can be collapsible and light weight as well.
- Metal Blades: Metal blades can be highly dangerous if a cage does not surround them. Nevertheless, these blades are used for high power fans are more suitable. However, they can make the fan a lot heavier and can reduce the chances of the fan to be collapsible.
What additional features should the best tent fan have?
The basic job of the tent fan is to provide you with air to cool you down. However, to get full worth for your money, you may look for additional features in your tent fan. A few extra features are:
- Water mist option: The best tent fan must have the feature to throw water mist with air to enhance cooling and lower humidity. This feature is convenient since a regular fan will blow out the circulating air, while with water mist, the air can cool down.
- LED light option: Some tent fans will also have the possibility of a small LED light; this will come to use as a small source of light when its night time and pitch black outside.
- Speed Control: Tent fans only have one speed; however you can find tent fans with the option to control the rate as per your liking. You may need it when the temperature is too cold with a fan and too hot without a fan. The ambiguity of the temperature can be fixed with the speed control option.
What is the best place to put the tent fan?
You can place your fan anywhere you want in the tent, however for optimal results; you should put it on the entrance; this will allow maximum air circulation and hence, cooler air.
Additionally, if you have picked a hanging tent fan, you can hang it near the entrance or even in the middle of the tent. Sometimes, it depends on the fan, and the placement should be done accordingly.
Best Tent Fans Reviews
To help you pick the right tent fan that suits your needs, we have compiled a list of our favorite picks.
1.Coleman Freestanding Tent Fan Review
This standing tent fan comes in a handy size. The blades are made of foam which makes it highly safe to be around, and you have the option to set the speed according to your liking.
The stable base allows you to keep it anywhere and with its tilting option, you can point the fan anywhere. Additionally, you have the option to hang it.
The small and easy to carry tent fan is suitable for less stuffy nights. With the foam blades, it ensures safety however without a cage it can still be hazardous. Nevertheless, with its ability to compress, you can carry it easily.
2. O2COOL 5-Inch Portable Fan Review
With its patented blades and efficient speed control feature, this tent fan is perfect for a hot camping day.
The batteries are disposable alkaline batteries, which mean it is easy for you to carry as many batteries as you want. The fan provides two different speeds which you can set according to your need.
Even though the extra light weight feature may mean that the fan has a shorter life, it will still give you a value for your money with its unique blade design. The speed setting along with the mechanism allows you to enjoy a soundless fan with cool air and without the motor noise. The fan can also fold completely allowing easy travel and easy storage.
3.O2COOL 10-inch Portable Fan with AC Adapter Review
This tent fan is versatile with its power source. You can either use it with the plug-in AC adapter, either you can run it with batteries that provide long hours of life.
The design is unique and includes a convenient handle for you to carry it anywhere you like. With speed adjustment, this fan becomes a must for your next camping trip.
The versatility of this fan does not stop you from using it indoors without having to worry about buying new batteries every time they run out. With its increased mobility option, the weight does not seem as bad. Moreover, the 10-inch blades give you maximum power making it energy efficient.
4. O2COOL NEW 10″ Battery Operated Fan with Adapter Review
As the name suggests, this tent fan comes with an AC adapter as well as the option to run it with six batteries. The stand has a unique design increasing stability along with an adjustable neck for directional settings.
The fan also allows you to switch between two speeds of the 10-inch blades, making the fan energy efficient.
Even though this one drawback may be a reason why you would not want to consider this fan, this is still in our top picks because of its several pros. The fan is made with 10-inch blades which help you save energy on electricity and gives you a long battery life. The stability of the base is a cherry on top and gives this product a room in our top picks.
5. Honeywell HT-900 TurboForce Air Circulator Fan Review
Available in two different colors, this tent fan brings about a classic design in standing fans.
The small fan gives maximum power with strong air force while being quieter than usual fans and while using batteries. The product is also available in two different sizes.
The small design and lightweight of this fan are perfect for a one man tent. While most fans offer two-speed options, this classic design offers three-speed options. Moreover, the choice to mount it or keep it standing increases to its versatility.
Through this article, you may now have an idea of how to choose the best tent fan for your next camping trip. Keep in mind the things you need to know before you buy one and find the best one from our top picks. We have compiled the list for you to understand the different products in the market and understand that many products can go beyond your needs too. Hence, remember to buy the tent fan that fits all your needs. You do not need to compromise on any factor.